How to install Microsoft fonts in Ubuntu?

• Hello,

I want to install Microsoft fonts in Ubuntu. Actually I am using POP_OS which is based on Ubuntu but it does not include Micrososft fonts.

Any help is appreciated.

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

Hi,

To install Microsoft fonts in Ubuntu based distros, you need the multiverse repository. However it is already included in many package managers such as POP_OS, Linux Mint, ZorinOS and Ubuntu.

First update your repositories:

Bash
    sudo apt update

Then run the following command to install Microsoft fonts:

Bash
    sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

When you run this command you will get a graphical interface inside Terminal which asks you to agree to the terms of use. To access the yes and no buttons, press on Tab button on your keyboard. Then follow the installation process by choosing yes (if you agree with the TOS of course :) )

If accidentally you choose NO and you reject the TOS, you can run the following command to repeat the installation:

Bash
    sudo apt install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer

And finally if you can not still see the installed fonts in your Linux, try the following command to empty the font cache:

Bash
    sudo fc-cache -f -v

If it did not work, restart your PC.

If you are getting a message that this package can not be found try the following command to add the multiverse repository to your machine:

sudo add-apt-repository multiverse

Then repeat the process explained above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!